Thursday, September 8, 2011

“An egg is always an adventure; the next one may be different” Oscar Wilde


As an offering in church this morning, I watched a woman carefully place two fresh eggs, surely stolen from her chicken’s roost, into a hand-woven basket beside four plump avocados that instantly gave me a craving for guacamole. As the basket passed my lap, my faced flushed full of embarrassment with the realization that I had not brought a single shilling with me, nor an egg or avocado for that matter.  James, our self-appointed and oh-so appreciated translator for the service, simply said “no worries.” Just as I was going to ask him about the food donations, Richard, the father of an AAH student stood up and spoke to the church as he held the two dirt speckled eggs in his hands. His gaze shifted to the front row in which we were seated and warmly explained that the perishable gifts were given by people who had no money to spare.  Richard then offered anyone the opportunity to purchase the eggs as an alternate offering contribution. Whether anyone was interested in the eggs or not I will never know as the auction was conducted in their local dialect. Nevertheless, Richard reached into his pocket to purchase the eggs himself. I figured he was eager to add the two eggs, be them omelet or baby chick, to his home and farm but was taken back completely when he handed one egg to my counterpart, Lacey and placed the other gently in my empty hands with a warm bow of grace and appreciation. The preacher stood at this gesture and explained that the people of this land exchange, share and give such tokens as gifts to send messages of true appreciation and gratitude for the support and spirit we all provide for one another. 

Walking back down the steep hill away from Bulobi Parish, the sun’s rays warmed our faces which emphasized the tenderness of the morning.  My eyes were fixed at my hands which held one egg and one avocado: a life in the making and a fully ripened fruit.  To some these items may serve as a lunch menu or an opportunity to make money in the market. And to the others, the items may go unnoticed completely. To me, in that moment, it meant the official opening to my new life in Bududa, Uganda.

I am so excited to discover the spirit within this new journey.

www.aahuganda.org


Lacey English and Caitlan McDaniel
Entebbe Airport, Uganda
August 30th 2011

1 comment:

  1. Love love love your writing. It's like a guilty pleasure for me...to live the adventure again- thru you!!! Thanks for posting. You write so well. Keep it coming. Thinking and praying for you. xoxox - Carolyn

    ReplyDelete