Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Holidays in Heaven:


            Ziwa, an old Muslim man and the head of the tour guide association on Lamu, met us as we stepped off of the ferry and took us to the place that was to be our home for the next week, Casuarina Guest House. We climbed the narrow staircase to the office where we met Charlie, the lead manager. He booked us for 6 nights (600ksh per night=$7.50 per night) and showed us to our rooms on the next floor. The beds were not covered with the nicest linens; they were covered with mosquito nets. The rooms were not equipped with air-conditioning; they had ceiling fans and the gentle breeze from the ocean. The walls were not freshly painted though they had an artistic spirit and authentic feel that let me know this was the best place to be.
The 18 hour bus ride made our bodies ache from the physical abuse and took a toll on our energy level, in general. We cleaned ourselves up and set out on a search for some local, fresh seafood. After looking at a few menus along the ocean front, we settled on The Seafront Café for dinner. Little did we know this would be our haven for amazing meals and the BEST freshly blended juices – I mean the most amazing we have ever had, people. (I may have already sent a text to Eric and Laurel saying “Remember the juice in Lamu?” and got a reply “You just had to mention the juice, didn’t you?”)
That night, we lounged on the rooftop terrace and entertained ourselves with the house kittens. The scene is divine in my memories. A part of my journal entry that first night:

Right now, I am looking out at the moon reflecting its beams over the Indian Ocean’s choppy bay. I sit atop Casuarina Guest House, our hostel in Lamu, and wonder where we are. The island really feels like a twilight zone as the ocean breeze seems to touch my soul and fill me with a pure and enchanting spirit.

......I have tried to finish this blog so many times but its difficult to tell all of the stories from this trip. It was the most amazing experience and I shed a few tears when the fairly took off from the Island. I promise, One day I will tell you the stories of Lamu. All we need is a bottle of wine and a nice breeze in our hair – see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment