Monday, March 1, 2010

Dear Time, slow down. Love, Me.

It is officially March. I have repeatedly verbalized my disbelief for the hurried onset of this month and this morning my sentiment has not changed. I am not okay with time passing so quickly. I have gotten minimal sleep this semester which means I have had longer days. Yet, with each alarm I am astonished by the numbers on my calender. I suppose the busier the days, the faster they pass. I really look forward to slowing down sometime in the future.

Due to my packed schedule, I have not had much time to dedicate to investigating the details of my trip to Kenya. Two weeks ago I met with Carolyne Abong (Humphrey Fellow from KNCHR who gave me the internship) and she filled me in on a few things. The four previous interns were from Harvard and Columbia Universities - woah. I will be going there for six months but have the option of extending my stay for any reason. I have weekends off as well as a mandatory two week holiday in December (COME VISIT ME!!!) for relaxation, family and travel. There are three other KNCHR locations throughout Kenya that I will have the opportunity to move to for a couple of weeks each. This will give me the opportunity to see other parts of the country with their unique people, culture and human rights programs. I will be living in a rented out room or apartment that the internship coordinator will help me find. There are numerous UN bases and programs throughout Kenya which house plenty of international interns. Carolyne thinks I will meet some of them and eventually choose to move into a home with them - I hope so as well. My daily work will vary. I will be doing tasks around the main office, sitting in on conferences and writing reports, creative program planning, human rights investigations, field travels, and anything else I really want to do.

Carolyne has given me the opportunity to guide my own internship; I can do as much or as little as I would like. This is very exciting for two reasons. First, I am able to do whatever I want - which will be a lot!! Second, I am very excited to live in a culture that really wants each person to be themselves and enjoy the road. Carolyne assured me I will have an amazing experience.

It scares me how real this is...

No comments:

Post a Comment