Sunday, March 28, 2010

Networking

As this semester of limited free-time comes to an end, I am beginning a journey of sharing my story and accumulating connections for my internship in Kenya. The skills I learned from community organizing at the University of Minnesota have really taught me the value of sharing stories and connecting stakeholders of shared visions to insure efforts are supported from multiple resources. I have to find people, organizations, ministries and government officials who would be interested in the experience I am about to embark upon. I am looking to find interests and values that align with my own and the goals of this human rights internship.

The first place I am going to seek such connections is the office of Dennis Donovan. He is the innovative founder of the youth organizing movement called Public Achievement of which my leadership minor education has been derived. He is also the co-director at the Center for Citizenship and Democracy, formally housed the the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs. His networking expertise and unlimited local and international connections are available to those who are interested in working to organize and create effective change. Dennis' openness to meet with active citizens and advise or connect their journeys to branches of his extensive network creates a stable foundation for the proposed ventures. He is an inspiring activists and talented engagement professional whom I hope to have with me throughout this journey and especially as I return and reflect upon my own organizing efforts.

I have been researching other possible stakeholders and am currently contacting non-profits, cultural associations, businesses, academic researchers and others who would possibly be invested in my work abroad. All I can do is share my story and hope that others connect with it.

This blog is a direct way to share my story and I ask that the readers keep checking back with it and stay connected with me, personally. I am going to need an ample amount of support for this experience and appreciate it all forms. Please share my story with those you know by sending them my blog address ( caitmcd4.blogspot.com ) or contact information ( cmcdaniel4@gmail.com ) and feel free to send me contacts and suggestions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment